The following video reviews App basics. Please read each slide carefully. Each slide will remain on the screen for 15 seconds. You may pause and play as needed to continue reading if you need more time. It is recommended to watch this training in fullscreen. The text has been provided below in the event you prefer that format.
Before We Begin: Care Driver Responsibilities
- Remember Safety First: Be sure to ensure that your vehicle is maintained properly and that you drive defensively. Ensure that you use proper transfer techniques when assisting patient-passengers. Do not text while driving. Use hands free tools like phone mounts and headsets while driving. Be aware that in order to maintain a quality network we track speed and dangerous driving patterns.
Improve Patient Experience: Be mindful of your passenger’s experience during your encounter. Do not leave until you have the passenger. Assist the passenger in and out of the vehicle during every pickup and drop off. Do your best to connect and ask questions about their preferences during the trip. Ask for passenger preferences when it comes to temperature, music, airflow, and more. It may be helpful to stock up on water and crackers to help with nausea after some appointments. Empathetic actions will help improve experience, please be mindful of your passenger's needs. You will be supplied cards for passengers that have our number on them – please pass these out as needed.
Use Support: We have coordinators, support staff and case managers standing by to help you. If you need help communicating with your passenger due to language barriers, call support at (844) 743-4323. For other issues submit a request at help.carecar.co
- What is CareCar? CareCar is a Non-Emergency Medical transportation (NEMT) broker/coordinator and software platform provider. We work with health insurance companies to create and manage transportation benefits so that people have better access to their medical appointments. We mostly serve seniors.
- How does CareCar work? We contract with individuals to become CareCar Drivers and provide transportation for patients to get to their medical appointments. CareCar Drivers use the CareCar Driver App to perform transport services. CareCar pays CareCar Drivers for their services.
- Can drivers collect tips? Passengers are not responsible for payments on the CareCar Platform. Solicitation for payments, trips or otherwise, is strictly prohibited as it may constitute a violation of federal fraud waste & abuse policies. However, CareCar pays automatic incentive bonuses to Care Drivers for exceptional services and timeliness. Bonuses are outlined in your provided rate sheet.
How You Earn
As a CareCar Partner-Provider, you earn by accepting Care Shifts, tasks, and providing services. A Shift is a duration of time in which you agree to be available to accept & serve ongoing requests based on your capability. Because you agree to available and accept tasks you will never earn less than your Shifts minimum earnings guarantee. CareCar Partners are compensated for every minute spent with a Member; and every mile (if applicable) with a Member riding as a passenger. If a CareCar Partner works beyond their Shift they will be compensated on a per request basis without the Shift minimum earnings guarantee.
As a CareCar Partner, you may also go "On Duty" anytime and work "Flex". You will be compensated on a per request basis; and you do not have to accept any requests, but you do not get a minimum earnings guarantee.
How To Use the App: Basics
- Go “On Duty”: “On Duty” does not mean you are working, it simply means that you are willing to accept care shifts and trips.
Accept a Shift/Trip: The “task” you are “assigned” will have the shift and trip information for the following day.
*Note: You may decline the shift but that may be the only shift available to you. If you are on a Shift declining a trip/task will end your shift early.
Working a Shift: Trips will begin to populate on your main screen after you accept a shift. Simply tap the first trip and swipe to start when you begin your day. (Note: Often, you will only receive one task/trip at a time.)Note: If you aren't working a "Shift" your process will be the same except you are able to decline tasks/trips without penalty.
App Basics Continued: Pick Ups & Drop Offs
- Start: Every pick up “task” will include information about your passenger and the trip. You can tap the directions icon to pull up your favorite map application with the location already input.
Arrive: When you arrive to the location, swipe right to “Arrived”. You may tap the phone icon anytime you wish to call your passenger. The app may sometimes auto mark your arrival.
Successful: When you have successful picked up or dropped of your passenger, swipe right for successful completion.
*If you have any need to report an issue do so before marking complete through notes and images.
Important Things to Note
Best Practices During a Care Shift
Summary of Critical Points
Complete the following actions for every drive:
- Call the passenger when you are 5-10 minutes away with an ETA
- When you arrive, find the passenger whether that means going to their door and knocking or going inside of their clinic and asking the staff for them but do not leave until you have them with you
- Help them to and from your vehicle as well as in and out of your vehicle
- Do not rush them
- Ask them for their in vehicle comfortability preferences (temperature, music, etc.)
- Provide Care Card to passengers who do not already have one
Other important points to note:
- Pay is based off on time and miles with a member as a passenger
- Accepting a Care Shift means you agree to work for that time period
- Cancellation of Care Shift within 1 hour of pick up time will result in a “no show”
- When you are finished with your shift or during your lunch break, turn your status to “Off Duty”